LilCherie'sWorld

Saturday, March 25, 2006

How did I get so.......old?

Yesterday, I took the day off of work....at the end of what would have normally been the working day, I realized that I have gotten old. What really brought me to this conclusion was the activities that I chose to do on my day off and that I actually really enjoyed them. I took the entire day off because we "had to take our taxes to the accountant to be done". Somehow I could justify this, when in actuality it took us about half an hour with the tax lady to give her all of our stuff. I started my day off by taking our son to preschool. Then I came home, brewed a pot of coffee and went at a morning of domestic goddess duties. I even changed the sheets on our beds! My mother was a "ritualistic sheet changer"--once a week....I change them when the thought crosses my mind...and I can't even begin to tell you the last time that thought crossed my mind. I straightened our son's room, vacuumed the downstairs, picked up my huge pile of clothes off of our bedroom floor...I was in fact, a true Domestic Goddess Friday morning! It was awesome...the sick part is that I really enjoyed myself...being at home, by myself, cleaning. Damn, I'm old.

Prior to going to the tax lady at 11am, I went to a local fabric store...I was truly not impressed with the selections of materials to make an evening gown for my brother's wedding. Another moment, where I feel like I am being a true Domestic Goddess...taking on the endeavor of creating a fancy dress....WITH ZIPPERS....I will have to keep you posted on how that goes. Then I went to the Dollar Store which was next door Shitty Fabric Store and bought supplies for "Girls Night"--gummy dinos, caramels, sourcream and onion chips, and other mindless activities for children under 5 years of age.

After taxes, my goal for the afternoon...a serious nap. I wasn't fooling around with this one. I had to survive to and through "Girl's night". I allotted myself up to four hours for this nap, starting at 12:30 I even closed the blinds, got under the big blankies...laid there for about an hour, slowly losing hope. Then I must of dropped off into a coma because it was suddenly 3:30pm. Mission accomplished...

I have to say, it was one of my best days off...and I did nothing truly exciting...just the mundane activities of daily life....but in somewhat more of a mindful way....

The best day off was followed by one of the best impromptu "Girl's Nights". My husband had a "Guy's Night" with some work buddies earlier in the evening and told me that he would be home by 9pm...well, he didnt get home until almost 10pm....Shortly before he arrived home I kept having the feeling the evening was fucked...I had called, Depressionista, host of this Girl's Night, there was no answer...a bit of panic...I tried again later...her husband answered and said she was sleeping. He told me to come on down anyway. In true SnickleSnackle fashion, I headed for Depressionista's house, which I should add is about 35 minutes from my house. I get there, she is still sleeping....more panic. But she rallied, and it was awesome. We ate, we drank coffee, we collaged, we talked, we filled the notebook with even more of our brilliant thoughts...It was wonderful and very much needed!! Thanks to our naps....we made it to 4am!! WE RULE!!

And because I am old....I know I need to get some rest before "Girl's Night".

2 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Depressionista said...

I love this post LilCherie! I know what you mean, since J. and I spent our "day off" from Vince sleeping, going to Target, and stopping by the store for milk. Exciting, huh!

Changing sheets, cleaning, taxes, fabric store...it doesn't get much better than that!

I particularly enjoyed the part about how serious you were about your nap and that you allotted four hours for it.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Tingle said...

I can certainly appreciate that feeling of not only accomplishing tasks around the house and neighborhood on a day off, but also getting in some "me" time and a nap! That's a GOOD day, in my opinion!

I had a similar day yesterday - sleeping in, getting a bunch of loads of laundry done, washing dishes, and doing a couple of errands, then going out for dinner. While nothing particularly exciting happened, it felt good to sleep in AND get things done, all in the same day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home