LilCherie'sWorld

Friday, February 16, 2007

JUST TWO BEANS


Valentine's Day Card that I went with:

Outside--"So I guess you wont be getting that Valentine's Day blow job"
Inside--"But if you are really nice, I might let you fuck me"

I almost went with "I might let you fuck me up the ass". But I was afraid he might really take me up on the offer and I was really not in the mood. I told him that--he thought that was funny.

My week was filled with work. Many funny social worker stories. I had a coworker who went out to a house that was highly infested with cockroaches. A male coworker that normally is pretty tough. He went as far as to buy cockroach spray and spray the toxic shit all over his clothes. He wasn't expecting to find the bugs since it was a domestic violence incident. The little kid in the home, probably around three years old, comes up to my coworker and says "Daddy's hiding in the closet". The police were with my coworker so the guy got arrested and on his way out of the house in hand cuffs, the only thing he says is "we were trying to get rid of the cockroaches".

My work spouses first case of the day on Valentine's Day was a domestic violence case as well. Oh, the irony.

When does the food issue get easier with kids anyway?!?!? I made a decent meal of chili for dinner. I served it to my five year old. I was so proud--I managed to make a good pot of chili out of stuff we happened to have in the cupboard. He absolutely refused to eat it. He would take a bite and spit it out. I did what I thought I would never do. I made him sit there until he ate some. He cried, he said he had a headache, he said he hated it. Finally, about 25 minutes later, he agreed to eat two fucking beans. For the LOVE OF GOD!! I think my husband and myself were two seconds away from committing child abuse and having one of my coworkers at my door. My husband even came down and did an internet search to find out the best way to handle this situation--kids not wanting to eat on the internet. He found very little info on this--pretty much that it is incredibly frustrating and no one knows how to handle it. My big fear is that I am going to cause my child to have eating issues...I don't want him to get fat...which I know is tied into my own issues...but I really don't want to give into him either....any ideas out there?

2 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Tingle said...

Love the card you went with! And the Valentine's Day domestic incidents sure put a different spin on things. Guess my day of being snowed in weren't that bad...

As for the eating issue, it's an age-old debate. I really disagree with the people who make a special meal for every person in the house. There are LOTS of people who do this... "What do you want for dinner?" Mom asks. And then she makes whatever each person wants! Ridiculous!

I like my Mom's approach - we either ate what she made, or we could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That was it - no other choices, and we had to eat something. Sometimes I was so sick of PB&J that I gave in and ate what she made.

I'm about to blog about a Peanut Butter issue we're having over here in Ohio, so you want to check that out, too.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Depressionista said...

Hey there,
As you know I struggle with this issue as well. In general, I am trying to have faith that when my kid is hungry, he will eat.

Sometimes I don't know how he survives and even grows on the few crumbs we see him swallow every day; we trust he eats more at daycare than at home. So far I haven't been able to be a total hard-ass and refuse to give him a snack if he doesn't eat supper. I just can't stand the thought of letting him go to bed hungry, at least not yet. But maybe your guy is old enough to understand that consequence? It might make for a shitty night, but maybe the next time he'd think twice about eating at supper?

I don't know. I think it's basically impossible. Like you, I don't want to send bad messages about food, but sometimes I do just buckle and beg or bribe Bubba to eat something, anything.

I think it's just a primal maternal need that we have to see our children eat, something ingrained in our psyches from before food was plentiful.

It is so annoying when you make something yourself, are proud of it, and have illusions of a "nice family dinner"--only to have it turn into a battleground. It always leaves me wondering...was that worth it? I know it must have been particularly frustrating because your guy LIKES CHILI...I've seen him eat it and tell me how good it is!

You know, you can lead a child to food, but you can't make him eat. He'll be okay. Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home