LilCherie'sWorld

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Life Sans Headache

This evening is one of the first times in over a week that I have not had a headache. I still have, what I call, a bit of a shadow of a headache...but I no longer feel like I have a turniquett tied around my forehead. After having a headache over most of the weekend, I decided to go to the family doc. I have had a history of highblood pressure. Typically, people don't have physical symptoms of high blood pressure but I can usually tell when I don't take my medications and I had been taking mine. The telltale headache. I had my mom check my blood pressure when I was visiting on Sunday. It was 125/88--bottom number was high for someone on medication. So of course, I was thinking I was having some sort of cerebral hemmorage. But I also get headaches when I have strained neck muscles or have been clenching my jaws....obviously, much of my tension exits my body through my head. The doctor on Monday checked my BP and it was 120/90--so she decided to increase my medication. She also gave me a muscle relaxers just in case my headache was being contributed to by neck muscles. I took one on Monday night--It seemed to really relax my muscles but nearly made it impossible for me to wake up the next morning.

Those were the physical issues that appeared to be contributing to my headache. Tuesday morning I had therapy. It had been several weeks since I had gone. And of course, I had been feeling like I was doing pretty well. Perhaps a bit of denial on my part...Issues of my father reared their ugly head. I told my therapist about several conversations I had with Dad over the last couple of weeks--usually centering around how awful he feels like my mother treats him--He told me how he "lives in two different worlds", the reality of living with my mother and his other fantasy world. How he does not think that if he left my mother that he could take care of himself because he has been having people care for him his whole life. Dad quit going to therapy, of course. Mom would give him crap about going--I believe, because if Dad gets healthier that would mean she could no longer be abusive to him--she would lose her control. So what do you do when your father tells you all of this stuff about feelings for your mother when your parents are still married and your mother has no idea of how your father really feels. (For the Love of the Gods, how do people live to almost the age of 60 years old and continue to remain this fucked up, in an unhappy relationship--all I know is it will NEVER HAPPEN TO ME). My therapist pointed out to me that YOU PROBABLY GET A HEADACHE. Well, damn. Guess that might make sense. What really struck me in the middle of this and brought tears on for me is that my parents try to live this facade--a nice house, a beautiful garden, living way beyond their means and underneath it all, I know my dad, and more than likely my mother, are not happy. Its all a show. And to top it off, what really hit me upside the head is that it makes me feel pretty shitty realizing that I came out of this relationship--I am the product of two people in this extremely fucked up relationship. And, when I am in "survival mode" --as I told my therapist on Tuesday--I go back to that little kid I was over 20-30 years ago, wondering what I can do to fix my parents, to make everything all better and stable...because I was that third parent. Just trying to make it all better--but you know what. I can't make any better. If I could it would be absolutely fucking perfect by now.

Then the really fucked up thought hit me...what do I do for a living?? I am a social worker that facilitates family meetings. Everyday I go to work and try to fix families...hmmm...wonder how I got into that line of work.

So my therapist thought maybe it would be better if I came more often to see her again...I had to agree. She reminded me that I am an adult now--that I am not back at home with my parents, as a scared little girl, and I have control of my thoughts. That I need to work on staying in the moment and in my adult life...And I need to continue to work on building a healthy daughter/father relationship.

.....and my headache is starting go away....

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could write a book, hell an array of books on the unhealhty parent / child /fucked up sibling / family bullshit aka as relationships.......but I won't. What does not kill us DOES make us stronger girl, I know!...And as I always say....(laffing)...KARMA takes care of the rest...like it or not....Just know you are so awesome, strong, I love you tons and am so proud to be your friend.....karmagirl.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Depressionista said...

Wow. The whole "what do I do for a living" realization hit me upside the head too! I NEVER made that connection before! That's deep.

I'm going to go all Sufi on you now, so hang in there :-) First, your sentence about how it made you feel shitty that you are the product of two people in an extremely fucked-up relationship, just made my heart hurt for you...and my immediate thought was this: maybe YOU are the cosmic reason for that relationship; maybe YOU are the good that is from the bad.

Similarly, maybe your experiences with your parents were "engineered" by the cosmos to prepare you to help others the way you do now. Or to prepare you to be a "third parent" -- or more accurately, supportive and loving friend -- to all of us lucky enough to call you that. Of course I wish you didn't have the pain that goes along with that fucked-up relationship...but it's hard for me to condemn it outright because it helped make you who you are and I love you the way you are. Never feel shitty about your existence. It is divine!

The other part I wanted to comment on was the part where you talk about how you are not that scared little girl anymore and that you have control of your thoughts. I agree with that and I am working on that myself with my anger stuff...but I just wanted to encourage you to give that scared little girl compassion, realizing that she did the best she could and is doing the best she can to protect you.

And lastly, the part about controlling your thoughts. I used to feel that controlling my thoughts would mean somehow preventing negative or destructive thoughts from entering my head. But now I feel that it really means accepting and listening when they come in...and then controlling how I respond to them. Controlling the NEXT thoughts I have. Hope that made sense.

You're doing a great job taking care of yourself and I'm so proud of you. I'm honored to be walking alongside you in this journey!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Tingle said...

That's an awful lot of epiphanies for one therapy session!

I think Depressionista should become a Sufi therapist! Her conclusions are right on, just what I was thinking, too.

In reading your post, I was just amazed because you are such a calm, generous, loving and accepting person and I'm amazed that you emerged from such a difficult upbringing. At the same time, I hurt for you because it seems like you had to grow up too fast to keep everything together and continue to try and do that.

And you ARE that nurturing spirit to so many people and that is such a gift - but I'm sad to think that it has such a price behind it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home